Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stuck Rubber Baby

So I'm pretty sure I'm the only person that actually enjoys the art in this novel. I really enjoy the pointilism and cross hatching the artist uses, it shows such a wide variety of different shades with only black and white. I'm not as freaked out by the ridiculous jaws on some of the characters as other people seem to be, but I can't help but notice that the narrator's sister keeps getting bigger and bigger.

The storyline is interesting and I like how the internal struggle of the narrator's homosexuality parallels the external struggle of the civil rights movement occurring around him. So far I'm kind of apathetic to this novel. It has interesting work and a decent storyline, but I'm not really interested in any of the characters. Plus, the present day narrator looks like a scary bum. And I'm spent on this topic.

No comments: