Monday, March 3, 2008

Finishing up Portraits from Life

Well the second half of Portraits from Life was significantly better than the first three stories. Possibly because drugs and murder mysteries are slightly more fascinating to me than fake Indians and old war vets. But really, when reading the fourth story in Portraits I couldn't help but be interested as I kept thinking back to the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where they take most of the drugs the narrator talks about. The story was more interesting because the visuals in Fear and Loathing are way trippy and sparked my interest in the narrator. This clip is a scene where Depp is messed up on mescaline and other intense drugs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b_EvWIlEix4&feature=related

The last story was also pretty interesting because it has the whole overlapping of storylines that I've grown to love about graphic novels. Plus, I'm obsessed with Law and Order and the whole mystery was reminiscent of that kind of plot. I started to pay more attention to the type of art in these two stories, such as the crosshatching lines and what not that we discussed in class. Very cool technique. I also found the stories somewhat more interesting after finding out that they were all based on true events. Overall, Collier redeemed himself for the first three stories.

No comments: