Tuesday, February 26, 2008

V for Vendetta

So the end of V for Vendetta... pretty cheesy. And alot of unanswered questions. Could V have prevented himself from being shot, but didn't? Is Evey going to train that boy to be the new her and she will be the new V?

In our smaller group discussions in Mondays class, we came up with a couple of interesting ideas. Throughout the novel, I had a hard time keeping straight which political figure was which. Someone in my group kind of brought to my attention that this might have been intentional, to kind of say that all government people are interchangeable and equally corrupt. Like who's wife became the whore when she was widowed or what was the deal with the guy's wife who was all conniving and hookerish as well?

One of the most frustrating things for me was the way that the thuggish street bullies spoke. I honestly could not understand their dialect and skipped over all of their bubbles, which may explain why I'm still a little confused by some of the end events.

My group especially appreciated the color in the novel. I really liked how certain environments had certain hues and definitely contributed to the atmosphere of the frames. Although to me the art was a bit too sketchy to fit my "comic-style" stereotype, I did think the art was clever and fit the novel well.

My original vision of comic art compared to the art in V for Vendetta.



Bright vs. Dark
Distinct lines vs. Sketchy
Traditional muscular hero vs. Unusual masked figure

No comments: