Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back to blogging...

So that SCUM manifesto? Wow. You've gotta be pretty pissed about something to be a manifesto writer. My manifesto? Not so much. Yes, I have a strong dislike towards Craig in Blankets, but I suck at manifesto style writing. I am way too used to formal essays to write in a different style. Regardless, I don't think it's too bad.

So V for Vendetta. I've seen the movie and honestly, was not too excited to read this novel. The movie was alright, but I felt like it wasn't pieced together correctly. However, so far, I really enjoy the graphic novel. I'm starting to realize that a medium such as a graphic novel can so way more than books or movies. I noticed this in the Watchmen too, but I really enjoy how a frame can be narrated by something that is occurring in a completely different time or scene. Like when Mrs. Almond's thoughts are being said over the frames of her acting contradictory. This happens a few other times and it really is a technique that can be used explicitly in graphic novels.

I'm not crazy about the art though in V. I much rather preferred the art in Watchmen, as the page texture and colors were more suited for a comic. I like V as an unusual type of superhero, as he doesn't seem to fit into the usual stereotypes. I like that he physically can do superhero like things, but looks totally unfit as a typical hero. A Guy Fawkes mask with longer hair? Kind of weird. I mean, would you usually want to be rescued by a guy that looks like this?

No comments: