Tuesday, January 15, 2008

1/16- Blankets 1, McCloud 1&2

These readings were my first experiences with graphic novels. Both of these readings completely changed my concept and understanding of comics. McCloud's first two chapters went way more into depth than I thought was even possible. I really enjoy the way McCloud interprets why simple symbols and images are more popular with wider audiences. The different types and styles of graphic novels, cartoons and comics is surprising and interesting to evaluate. I personally was amazed by the realistic details that certain comic backgrounds portray. Blankets is the very first graphic novel I've ever read and so far, I really enjoy it. I never realized that comics existed in this type of format and I really am excited to continue the readings. It was hard to stop after the first chapter because I feel like it is setting up a crazy interesting storyline. My past knowledge of comics and graphic novels has led me to believe that all characters exhibit supernatural powers so I'm wondering if Craig will develop into a superhero. His backstory would lead to some intense revenge situations so I'm looking forward to see what will happen.

No comments: